Sacred Heart Parish History


1947

Archdiocese authorized construction of a chapel/church hall on the site in Auburn Heights.

1948

First church completed and dedicated by Cardinal Mooney.

1958

Parish hall constructed.

1959

Sacred Heart officially became a Parish.
First Pastor was Fr. Francis Dietz.

Fr. Dietz

1965

Father Henry Kreft was appointed Pastor.

Fr. Kreft

1984 - 1985

Church enlargement approved.
Ground-breaking for construction.

1986

New church dedicated by Archbishop Szoka.
Fr. Kreft retired and Fr. Dennis Harrity became new pastor.

Fr. Kreft

1992

Father Dan Rebain appointed new pastor.

Fr. Kreft

1997

Father James Mayworm was appointed pastor.
New pipe organ was installed and dedicated in Fr. Rebain's memory.

Fr. Kreft

1999

Celebrated 40th Anniversary as a Parish.

2000

Church expansion and renovation.

2009

50th anniversary of Sacred Heart becoming a Parish.
Father Richard Cavellier was appointed sixth pastor of Sacred Heart.